Keep Up With What's Happening!
contact us to speak directly to a care team expert:
Ten Advantages of Attending Senior Companion Programs In Bethesda, MD
No matter how much you love and appreciate the elderly loved one in your life, you are not always able to spend quality time with them. You may also not be able to meet his or her needs in terms of companionship because of specific interests, age, or gender or even distance. If you find yourself in this situation, consider what senior companion programs offer.
Advantages of Senior Companion Programs
Several benefits result from enrolling the elderly in a senior companion program. They range from the physical to the mental aspects of their lives. Among the top 10 advantages of choosing this service are:
- Decreases loneliness: For seniors who live alone, visitors are welcome. Isolation can be damaging both physically and mentally. Regular visits from a compassionate caregiver are an important way of maintaining the well-being of a senior.
- Keeps tabs on physical health: Visits can detect any deterioration in a senior’s physical health. Caregivers and companions can observe physical manifestations of disease or dietary issues such as a lack of interest in eating or low energy levels. At the same time, caregivers can notice any improvement in health following a return home from the hospital
- Helps detect mental health issues: Daily or even weekly visits may detect any deterioration in a senior’s mental health. A regular visit can monitor the progression of diseases such as Alzheimer’s
- Stimulation: Those involved in senior home care can stimulate the brain and interests of at-home seniors. This may be accomplished by playing board games with them or taking them for a walk, drive, or shopping trip. Caregivers may even drive seniors to visit friends and family, attend church, or go to an event at a senior center.
- Transportation: Many seniors are no longer able to drive. Getting on a bus may not be possible or require too much time and energy. In winter, incidents of slipping and equally the overwhelming heat of summer can make travelling alone difficult. Companions can reduce the risk by driving them to appointments or any other destination.
- Medication: Some services help the elderly keep track of medication they are taking and remid clients of their correct regimine.
- Food preparation: Maintaining a healthy diet and weight requires eating right. Caregivers can do this by helping prepare nutritious meals.
- Personal care: Depending upon the elderly care program, caregivers may offer personal care services. This includes showers or bathes, dressing, and related tasks.
- Housework: This may include light housekeeping such as vacuuming, dusting, doing the dishes or laundry.
- Other in-home care services: There are a variety of diverse services available to help the elderly maintain dignity in their own home. Contact a senior care program provider such as Capital City Nurses. They will inform you as to what they can do to help.
Achieving the Goal
Finding senior companion programs in Bethesda, MD is not difficult. However, if you are considering in-home care services ora senior companion program, be sure you know exactly what you are looking for. Compare this list to what is available to help your vulnerable senior maintain a happy and healthy life.