Keep Up With What's Happening!
contact us to speak directly to a care team expert:
HEALTHY AGING MONTH: THE DIFFERENCE HUMOR CAN MAKE TO OUR HEALTH!
As they say, getting older is not for the timid, as we experience age-related, mental, and physical challenges.
Of course, we are told to watch our diet more closely, exercise our bodies and minds regularly, take our vitamins and get enough sleep. While those are all fine suggestions for older adults, I think one very important point is often left out…and that is keeping a sense of humor! A good dose of humor promotes good health and has a beneficial effect on some of the most common health challenges of aging such as…
HUMOR REDUCES STRESS:
Laughing can help relax muscles and lowers blood pressure. When you laugh, you are stimulating the immune system, counteracting negative effects of stress!
HUMOR MAKES YOU FEEL GOOD:
Having a sense of humor can have a positive impact on the perception of pain. It also benefits the immune system and heart health!
HUMOR HAS CLINICAL BENEFITS:
Recent studies suggest humor can improve learning ability, short-term memory, and delayed recall, which in turn improves quality of life.
HUMOR IS GOOD FOR THE BRAIN:
A good laugh can be a highly developed mental exercise that trains us to approach aging in different, inventive ways. Researchers say that even the lowly pun requires the brain to shift perspective.
On that note, read on for “the benefits” of being an older adult you may not have given much thought to😊…and I dare you not to laugh!
1. Kidnappers are not very interested in you.
2. In a hostage situation, you are likely to be released first.
3. No one expects you to run into a burning building.
4. People no longer view you as a hypochondriac.
5. There is nothing left to learn the hard way.
6. Things you buy now probably won’t wear out.
7. You can eat dinner at 4 pm and no one cares.
8. You have a party, and the neighbors don’t even realize it.
9. People don’t think twice about how long you take in the bathroom.